BA (Hons) Arch, Dip Arch FRSA CEPHD
John is a designer and co-founding partner of sustainableBYdesign, with over 20 years experience creating and delivering sustainable architecture and masterplanning environments on a wide variety of award-winning exemplar projects including:
- UK Passivhaus Housing, Watford & Ravenscraig: BRE International Competition Finalist 2012
- Welsh Passive House, for the Eisteddfod, Ebbw Vale: International Competition Finalist 2010
- Office Headquarters in Enfield, London: RIBA London shortlist and Enfield Design Award 2007
- Adult Education & Training Centre, Forest Gate, London: DfES Exemplar, BRE Case Study 2006
- Park Central Masterplan, Birmingham: CABE Building For Life Gold Award 2006
- Mile End Park Masterplan, London: BCI Civil Engineering Award, CABE Case Study 2001
- Peabody Housing Crescent Block, Silvertown, London: RIBA Housing Design Award 1997
Since completing his architectural education at Plymouth in 1993, John has worked on schemes ranging from: mixed-tenure housing and workshops in Amsterdam (Lafour en Wijk), masterplanning and ecological pavilions in Mile End Park, London (Tibbalds Monro) and an energy conscious, special needs housing conversion of a Victorian Hotel in Hastings (ECD). John also lived and worked for 2 years in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe; drawing and building low-energy-demand laboratories for the National University of Science and Technology for local architects Mwamuka Mercuri & Associates.
Prior to forming sustainableBYdesign, John spent 5 years in the role of project architect at Cazenove Architects in East London: designing and building simple, lightweight modern timber buildings utilising natural daylight and cross-ventilation to create stimulating, healthy environments for community nurseries, schools and offices.
As a founder member of Inbuilt's architectural design team, John acted as Design Team Leader and led projects for a zero carbon home in Hertfordshire designed to Passivhaus and Code for Sustainable Homes Level 6 standards, and played a leading role in developing and testing Inbuilt's unique Framework for Sustainable Development.
At sustainableBYdesign, John has been successfully implementing our Sustainability Knowledge Map on all projects and contributing to the design and technical performance on our housing, education, masterplanning and refurbishment portfolio - using PHPP energy efficiency modelling to achieve Passivhaus energy efficiency standards. He has led on the practice's use of PHPP in assessing current and projected energy performance in retrofit projects and qualified as a Certified European Passivhaus Designer in 2014.